Important things to remember regarding your post operative care:
1. Leave the gauze in for 2 to 4 hours.
It is important to control the bleeding and to gently compress the graft.
2. Apply ice pack for 2 to 4 hours.
3. Apply Chlorhexidine solution (Perioguard or Peridex).
Apply Chlorhexidine solution to surgical site twice daily with a cotton-tipped applicator.
- DO NOT BRUSH THE SURGICAL SITE!
- DO NOT SWISH WITH PERIOGUARD. IT WILL STAIN THE TEETH.
4. Leave the surgical area Alone!
Please minimize talking, don’t show other people the surgical site, it will delay healing. Movement of surgical site can cause sutures to pull through graft and displace from the surgical site.
5. Post Operative Surgical Prescriptions, use as indicated:
- Antibiotics—take all antibiotics for the full duration of the prescription.
- Painkillers—take painkillers only as prescribed.
For Continued pain management use Ibuprofen 800mg which may be combined with Tylenol.
6. Be sure to resume taking all regular medications.
7. Swelling of the surgical site.
Swelling is to be expected, this is a surgery. Continue to apply ice packs as much as possible for the first two days if needed.
8. Discoloration and bumpiness of surgical site is normal and usual.
9. Additional supplements:
Good Nutrition, Multivitamin and 500-600mg Calcium daily will help with the healing process.